My comments after sleeping on the loss.
1) Ft shooting on the year 65%; 3pt shooting is at 30%. Has to get better or this team is beatable in a one and out game. With the new foul rules, this team will go to the line 30+ times every game. They cannot keep giving away free points.
2) This team obviously bought the hype. All the stories/narratives about 40-0. It was reported that the Harrison Twins were commenting before the game that Jay Campbell said they were the greatest assembly of talent on earth and will demolish everyone by 40. Yes they read this blog. The team bought into the talk. If anything, I think this loss is humbling, and may be a good thing in the long run.
3) Mich. State, a legitimate Top 5 team, and punched the young Cats in the mouth. At one point, the lead was 15, and yet, if UK hits 70% of their FTs, they win. The superior talent is there.
4) A lot of the mistakes were teachable. Errant and forced passes. Movement and ball rotation on offense. Cal will fix that. It is only 3 games.
5) Hustle. There is no reason why any team should outrun this team. Mich. State scored a lot because they hustled, the young’uns jogged back. That is teachable.
6) Cal has to get Poythress more involved in the offense to take pressure off Randle. To his credit, Poythress has been a beast and he can be stoppable if Randle is commanding a double.
7) My wish. 3 games now, the Cats came out for the first 5 minutes lethargic. I predicted if they did that, they could lose. If I were Cal, I would consider starting with a press right off the bat just to get everyone going fast. I still think the press could be deadly for this team, but my main reason for using it now, is just to get the energy level up.
I think UK will be fine. UL could be a loss, as NC, but this team can still win the championship. No need to jump ship yet.