The Baylor game was awful. It was clear that UK had more talent against a very physically talented team. But this team is lost and cannot play as a team right now. My observations.
1) UK becomes a lost plodder against a zone. Outside shooting is ok, but overall the team because clueless and lacks ball movement. Every team from here on out is going to zone UK. If they do not adapt, they will lose 10 games IMO and be an early out in the Tourney.
2) I think the team bought into the 40-0 hype preseason. They act like if they just show up, they win. They are lazy and play with an air of entitlement. No killer instinct; no sense of urgency. Lazy defensive movement; slow to offer weak side help. On offense, the team does not communicate well and they look bored. Every time one of the Harrison Twins walks the ball up the Court, Cal needs to pull them. This team needs to play faster; if they don't they become lethargic. Even Randle goes through the motions at times, more so when the Twins are. Lee and Hawkins are the only two players who give 100% effort.
3) Poythress needs to decide if he wants to play basketball at the next level. The guy can dominate and then 5 minutes later get rejected by a cheerleader and starts crying.
4) Another 50% Free Throwing shooting display. Failing to hit the front end of the 1 and 1 in the last few minutes of a tight game is killing this team. This team shoots FTs worse than Cal's Memphis teams, and they were bad.
5) This team lacks toughness. They sulk and let themselves get bullied. Baylor man handle UK on the boards. I have never seen a team sulk and pout so much after a bad play or a Baylor run. The Harrison Twins literally bow their heads after a bad play and quit hustling. Embarrassing to watch. I would start Hawkins and Polson until the Twins change their attitude. These supposed leaders are rubbing off on everyone else, including Randle. I think Cal knows he has a problem. I have never seen him get up and walk out in a press conference with total disgust like last night. He wasn't acting, he was legitimately pissed.
The only time this team played hard is when the pressed briefly. This team has plenty of talent. I still believe that they are the most talented team out there. But they need a major attitude adjustment or this team will blow up. Right now, Louisville, NC, @Arkansas and Florida (2) are shaping up as potential losses. I would not be shocked if Boise State gets a win given how this team is reeling right now. I hope I am wrong.go back